My husband, Nick, and I recently got back from a road trip to New Jersey to visit my parents for a long weekend. The car ride was 12 hours round trip and I always make sure that my bag and car are stocked with the following essentials before I leave.
- Camera: The number one road trip essential! Right now I have my mother’s 35mm, which I sadly don’t take on many road trips anyone, my Canon Rebel xTi, and my iPhone of course. I do also own a Polaroid Zink340 but I am looking to upgrade. A camera is essential for all of your trips, whether in a car, on a bus, plane, train, etc. If you were to forget any of the rest of the items on this list, as long as you had your camera you would be all set to have a good time. Or at least you would be able to look back on pictures and remember that this was the trip you forgot everything else.
Canon Rebel XTi DSLR Camera – $219.00
Polaroid Z340 – $275.00
- Emergen-C: You will never find me on a trip without at least one packet of Emergen-C located somewhere in my luggage. This delightful little packet of powder has saved me from getting sick, being hungover, and jet lag. It makes it so convenient to just be able to mix it into your water bottle and go. Which leads me to my next essential.
Emergen-C, Raspberry – $6.83
- Infuser Water Bottle: Long car rides call for hydration and sometimes you get sick of drinking plain water for 6 hours straight and you don’t want to keep throwing out $3 for a green tea at a gas station. With an infuser bottle you can load it up with fruit and just keep filling it up from a water fountain when you make a stop.
- Notebook/Sketchbook: Along with a camera, a notebook or sketchbook is a great way to keep track of your travel memories. I always believe that I will remember every second of my trip but by the time I packing up to go home, I find that I am quickly forgetting what we accomplished on our first days of the trip.
Travel Journal – $10.52
- Books: I never leave home without a book in my purse. You may find that you will need it during those long hours of driving or for those moments when you can’t fall asleep in a strange bed.
- Cocoa Butter Lotion: You can never go wrong with Palmer’s.
- Cell Phone: Like you even need an explanation for this one. Just don’t forget it.
- Portable Phone Charger: Always make sure to have a cigarette lighter adapter and a wall outlet adapter. My favorite charging cords for the iPhone are the braided nylon ones; they won’t split like the Apple cords and they are very durable.
Braided Lightning Cable – $10.00
- Sunglasses: Never forget these. You will forever regret your squinty eyes in every photo.
- Snacks: In order to spend less money while traveling, always stock up beforehand. I like to go to Big Lots and buy gum, granola bars, dark chocolate, and dried fruit. $20.00