So you are going on a vacation with other couples.
It’s you, your husband, and two other couples. How are you going to survive nine days? Now, don’t get me wrong, we all love our friends and family but once you are married and used to living on your own and not being surrounded by four other people at all times, nine days in paradise can even seem a little daunting. Especially if you are someone, or a pair of someones, who are used to being on your own and doing your own thing when you travel.
- Book separate rooms – Do it. Spend the extra money to reserve your own space. You won’t regret it. Now you have a space to go to when you need a little breather. You have a place to sleep at night without someone staring at you from the other bed in the room. You have your own bathroom! Need I say more?
- Do separate activities – Of course you are going to spend time together. You have the drive to the airport, the plane ride, the hours of layover in another airport, another plane ride, the check in process, dinner, and ahhhhh! That’s only the first day. You have 216 hours set aside for your vacation and you don’t need to spend all of them together. Go for a walk on the beach with your husband, get a drink with your girlfriend, have a girls night at the club, let the guys go do their thing for a night, etc.; whatever the activity may be, you don’t have to be with everyone at one time in order to enjoy it.
- Eat breakfast together – This is the best way to catch up. Pick a time and meeting place for each morning and get together with everyone. You can choose your activities for the day, reminisce on what everyone did the night before, and plan your dinner for the night. Are you eating as a group or is each couple going to do a romantic dinner?
- Try new activities together – The best way to bond on a vacation with other couples is to try a new experience together. Everyone’s been snorkeling but not everyone has swam with sharks? Go for it. You have all went swimming in crystal clear water but you have never hiked through a cave in order to reach that secret swimming pool? Check it out. Trying new things together is a great way to make memories and who knows, you may find something new to love!
- Do something for yourself – This is the most important thing you can do on a vacation with other people; make time for yourself. Give yourself an hour at the gym with only you and that weight set that’s been calling your name, go for a run on the beach with only the sounds of the waves hitting the sand and your calf muscles burning, sneak off to a corner and sketch the people around you for twenty minutes, lock yourself in the bedroom and write your travel experiences down in your journal. Whatever it is, do it for you.
Somewhere along the line, you are going to figure out who you like to go on vacation with and who you would rather not spend nine consecutive days with. Before you reach that balance though, you are going to go on a lot of vacations with other couples that may end up driving you up a wall. Don’t sweat it. Just remember these tips and have a great time!